Contact Us NU Transmission Media Information

   Project Information for Customers
Customers Home Leadership Benefits Project Locations & Information Stay Informed Your Safety & Health Environmental Stewardship Questions & Answers  
NU Transmission >> Project Information for Customers Home >> Stay Informed

Project logoStay Informed

Your Voice Matters
Regulatory Approval Process Information
Whom to Contact

Your Voice Matters

How can you participate in the regulatory approval process to protect your interests and make your voice heard? The siting of transmission projects involves several opportunities for you to voice any concerns. Below are the steps required to insure local participation.

Regulatory Approval Process Information

Before an Application is made to the Connecticut Siting Council for an Electric Transmission Line Facility Certificate of Environmental Compatibility and Public Need:

  • The applicant company must consult with municipalities along the route and include efforts to meet with the top elected official in those municipalities.
  • In such municipal consultations, an applicant must provide those officials with technical reports developed in support of the need for the project.
  • Municipalities have 60 days to issue recommendations on the proposal to the applicant.
  • Within 15 days of filing an application with the Council, applicants must provide the Council with information on their municipal consultations, including the municipality's recommendations.

Application Notice Requirements:

  • Applicants must provide copies of an application to the top municipal official in affected towns, various town and state agencies, the appropriate regional planning agency, members of the Legislature in whose districts a facility is proposed, the state attorney general and any additional federal agencies with jurisdiction.
  • Notice of an application must be published at least twice prior to a filing in a newspaper having general circulation in the municipalities.
  • A notice must be provided with bills to electric company customers in the municipalities for one or more months prior to filing an application.

After an Application is Made:

  • The Council's staff will examine the application for completeness and set a docket schedule.
  • The Council will gather additional record information via interrogatory questions, a local public hearing and required consultations with various other state agencies.
  • Individuals and groups (including municipalities), pursuant to CGS section 16-50n, may participate as parties or intervenors, or make limited appearances at the hearings.
  • The Council has 12 months to make a decision on the application for a certificate, and can impose conditions in any approval decision.

If the Council Grants a Certificate:

  • The applicant completes its line design.
  • The applicant prepares and submits a detailed construction management document (a “Development and Management Plan”) to the Council for approval.
  • The applicant secures all necessary land-use rights and environmental permits for construction.
  • Subject to satisfying Council-imposed conditions, the applicant may construct the line.

Back to Top

Whom to Contact

You can contact the Connecticut Siting Council to learn how to become a Party or an Intervenor once Northeast Utilities has filed an application. See the Council's Web site for schedules, timelines and filings or call (860) 827-2935.

Share your thoughts on the proposed power lines with your state Senator and Representative by linking onto the Connecticut General Assembly Web pages.

In addition, you are welcome to contact us at any time.

Back to Top

Print page without header or side navigationPrinter Friendly Page

Project Information for Customers Home | Energy Needs | Benefits | Projects
Your Voice Matters | Stay Informed | Environmental Stewardship | Q&As
NU Transmission Home | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy Statement